Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Spinach Cheese Fritters


This mom is always looking for ways to get the veggies into her daughters diet. I have one of those kids that actually likes it. She is thin and active so I have the luxury of introducing fats to her diet that include various ways of incorporating veggies. Tonight it was Spinach Cheese Fritters...thanks Cooks.com submission (CM).
As you know I never follow a recipe 100% so here's my take:
  • 1 bag baby spinach (stems picked and then chopped and sauteed w/either butter or olive oil then drained and patted dry) a pkg of frozen spinach heated and drained will do.
  • 1/4 cup Ricotta cheese
  • 1/3 cup (ish) Romano/Parm cheese (I cheated and used the Kraft stuff)
  • 1/4 + a dash of Italian bread crumbs (I mixed in a hand full of Panko for crunchies)
  • Dash salt
  • Dash Garlic powder
  • Dash pepper
  • 1 egg
  • Veggie oil or peanut oil for frying
  • Your favorite sauce (I used a bruschetta mix: tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, oregano olive oil) but you can use your favorite spaghetti sauce

Mix spinach, ricotta, Romano/Parm, breadcrumbs, salt, garlic powder, pepper and eggs evenly. Flour up you hands for making some ovals. Form into balls then fry up and serve with your sauce. Enjoy em hot or room temp. I was pleasantly surprised as this was an experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment