Sunday, February 22, 2009

Chicken a la KING - BABY!

So, you wanna know what went on my table tonight? One of my husbands favorites. Chicken - oh so fantastic- a la King. This is a Paula Deen recipe that is a household love...try it and here's how:

Mushrooms: usually I use baby portobello/crimini...but tonight it was buttons and shitake
Green onions: I always have these babies on hand
Pimentos: Can't have this dish without them
Butter: a stick...kill all diets - any Paula recipe is butter laden
Flour: measure for your desired thickness, she calls for 1/3 cup (I never measure unless baking)
Cream: I use half and half...whipping cream just didn't taste right to me.
Salt N Pepper: to taste
Chicken broth: I use my own from the chicken I cook up usually


Saute those onions and mushrooms in the butter for a bit


I use broth from my own concoction, some spices (garlic, tyme, salt, whatever I have on hand)


Rice in my rice cooker - so generously donated by my mother-in-law. (Sticky rice - 2 cups rinsed 3 times to kill the starch, 2 cups water...perfect for all those Japanese recipes I'll share another time.) Otherwise, the boil in bag rice works wonders for time crunchers.


Dice your COOKED chicken or use leftover chicken from the rotisserie chicken you bought and didn't finish. Toss it in the other stuff.

And here she is...



Not like your mama made it, not like my mama made...but a real hubbie pleaser. It's a household recipe that shows up every now and then.

Any one that knows me, knows I never follow a recipe, I always tweak and modify depending on whats in the pantry...as chef Gustau (sp) says "anyone can cook". just follow a recipe and then make it your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment