Sunday, March 15, 2009

Down on the farm...

We, my husband and I, have almost certainly lost our minds. I didn't like the idea of adding to the family of critters we have soiling the house and making sure that the carpet looks more "chocolate chip" than "sugar cookie", but the Mad Monster batted those southern belle lashes at her daddy and he gave in.


And where is this little eyelash batting beauty, you may ask? Out playing in the puddles and duct taping her Razor. Do you see where this is going? I know where it's going. I think we will be having this for dinner very soon (ok, this is really just for a chuckle from my husband and a threat to my daughter)...


Ingredients:
1 rabbit, about 3 pounds, cut up
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped celery
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon salt
dash pepper
1 bay leaf
4 cups water
4 cups dry red wine
2 cups diced carrots
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
4 ounces sliced mushrooms, sauteed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup water
Preparation:Directions for rabbit stew. Dredge rabbit pieces with 1/2 cup flour. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; brown rabbit pieces on all sides. Add celery, onion, salt, pepper, bay leaf, 4 cups water, and wine; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer rabbit stew for 2 hours. Add carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms; cook for about 25 to 30 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Combine 1/4 cup flour and 1/3 cup water; stir until well blended and smooth. Stir flour mixture into the broth; cook and stir until thickened.Rabbit stew recipe serves 4.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds DE-LISH-US. While many Daddy's are susceptible to the batting of eyelashes from their daughters, I must add that in my defense that this bunny was a reward for making the right decision in an incredibly difficult situation.

    Maddie made the right decision and I am (still) proud of her. Hopefully, this thought will console me on those days when I find myself caring for a bunny that has been "better dealed" by next months passing infatuation. I wonder what it will be...if my run of luck is any indication, it will probably be an almost road-killed skunk, wolverine or wild pig.

    ReplyDelete